Monday, July 23, 2007

Soggy Marsh Dwellers

We came up with our group name today. It was the second day of our bush wacking in the rain and we felt like"Soggy Marsh Dwellers." We started at the Beaver Pond outflow with the various measurements we needed. Then we walked aimlessly for 2 hours in the marsh around the Creek Pond. We were soaked again and began to wonder if the marsh would end. Several times we went for higher drier ground but we really wanted to find the inflow to the Creek Pond from the Beaver Pond. We are two very determined people.

However, after stepping into ankle deep water and fighting with dense blueberry trees, I felt the project was not worth it! I needed to start over so we treked out of the woods and found a logging trail that came out just beyond the Beaver Pond where the main trail was flooded. I was very discouraged.

Apon returning to school and speaking with Eleanor and Lara (our teachers), I felt better in knowing that the spot we found last Thursday along the Beaver Pond stream could be used as the inflow to the Creek Pond and that Eleanor knows of 2 entrances to the other two sites we need to replicate from the 2005 group. That will be the focus tomorrow.

A word for the future students who take on this project... be very thankful we have GPS points for you to follow. The amount of tall, thick, wet marshy land we transversed should not be wished apon anyone. I have a deeper sympathy for people who get lost in the woods.

2 comments:

Mosquito killer said...

You are such a trooper! I can't even imagine doing what you are doing in such a wet summer!

NH HayShaker said...

Oh my.....it sound sooooo...wet!

It is a good thing that we have a keen sense of direction or else we might still be in the marsh. I suggest that we read up on edible marsh plants just in case. But, there was no way we could have started a fire in heavy rain and wet marsh.

It was kind of neat to stumble upon the scat of animals and other signs of wildlife. I bet few humans have been out there recently.

Lastly, remembering me 'island hopping' and sitting down in the marsh must make you smile!? If it had been you, I would have wanted to video!