Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My First Ever Blog!

Hey all! My name is Mossy Green named after my tree. It was an American Beech. Let me tell you the story I wrote about her.

Water slides down my smooth skin. I am fashionably dressed in green and off white. Some say I have eyes all over me. My branches don't start for some time but they stretch out far with 3 to 4 leaves on each limb. They each shoot off from the same point of origin. My trunk doesn't show its roots, I like to stay covered.

Other fasinating pieces of information we did that day were learn to use a DBH (diameter at breast height) measurement tape, size out a vegetation plot, and calculate canopy tree density and dominance. It was interesting to learn in measuring DBH, a person starts at breast height. As a teacher, I am always telling my freshman high schoolers that there are standards all over the world that everyone knows in order to communicate. Usually this is a standard metric number and here we were sweating in the abnormally cool air using a random height on a person that is backed up with a standard of 1.3 meters. Then I read an article "What is DBH?" and found that other countries vary this number. So I guess I will have tell the kids a bit differently.



The Scavenger Hunt was interesting. It got me thinking about our coexistance with nature. Viewing trees growing from the same area or trunk never struck me to ask "why." Then when we read Tom Wessels, he answered that question and more! It was like a whole new door just opened up. I wish that I had this interest when my daddy was alive so that we had more to talk about. But it still puts a smile on my face knowing that I did enjoy what he enjoyed. :)

It just took me a while to figure that out.


No comments: